- Record Revenues of $232 million
- Record EBITDA, as adjusted, margins of 27.3%
- Record EPS, as adjusted, of 42 cents, grew 50%
- Record Operating Cash Flow of $43 million
Verifone Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: PAY), the global leader in secure electronic payment solutions, today announced financial results for the three months ended July 31, 2007.
Net revenues, for the three months ended July 31, 2007, were $231.9 million, 57% higher than the net revenues of $147.6 million for the comparable period of 2006. Net revenues from Verifone's International business increased 106% while net revenues from Verifone's North America business increased 22%. The significant increase in net revenues was driven largely by the acquisition of Lipman Electronic Engineering Ltd., which closed November 1, 2006.
Gross margins, excluding non-cash acquisition related charges and stock-based compensation expense, expanded to a record 48.2%, for the three months ended July 31, 2007, compared to 45.9% for the comparable period of 2006. GAAP gross margins for the three months ended July 31, 2007, declined to 44.0% from 45.0% for the three months ended July 31, 2006, primarily as a result of increased amortization of purchased technology assets.
GAAP operating expenses for the three months ended July 31, 2007 were $65.5 million compared to $38.0 million for the comparable period of 2006. This increase was primarily due to the Lipman acquisition and related integration expenses.
EBITDA, as adjusted, margins for the three months ended July 31, 2007, expanded for the twelfth consecutive quarter and reached a record level of 27.3%, compared to the 22.6% recorded in the three months ended July 31, 2006.
GAAP EPS for the three months ended July 31, 2007, was $0.16 per diluted share, compared to $0.24 per diluted share, for the comparable period of fiscal 2006. This decline resulted from acquisition related non-cash charges, higher stock-based compensation expense and a higher GAAP tax rate driven by an increase in the valuation allowance related to the Lipman acquisition. Net income, as adjusted, which excludes non-cash acquisition related charges and debt issuance costs, as well as non-cash stock-based compensation expense and Lipman integration costs, for the three months ended July 31, 2007, increased 50% to $0.42 per diluted share, compared to $0.28 per diluted share, for the comparable period in 2006.
"I am extremely pleased to report on another outstanding quarter as we once again achieved exceptional financial results," said Douglas G. Bergeron, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "During the quarter, we achieved record revenues and record gross and operating margins, all which led to strong EPS growth," continued Bergeron. "Our North American business continued to surge, growing 9% sequentially. Our compelling portfolio of wireless solutions and our strength in emerging markets were also significant factors driving our success this quarter."
"We are increasing our internal expectations for the fourth quarter and now expect to repeat these record third quarter results. Our guidance for the fourth quarter, therefore, is for net revenue of $231 - $233 million and net income, as adjusted, per share of $0.41 - $0.42. As a result, we are also increasing our full year fiscal year 2007 expectations for net income, as adjusted per share to $1.59 to $1.60 per share. As well, given the out-performance in profitability that we have consistently enjoyed since the closing of the Lipman acquisition last November, we are now taking this opportunity to update our long term financial model. We are reaffirming our revenue growth rate projection in the 10% - 15% range and we are increasing our margin expectations as reflected in the table below."
|Long Term Model
||42% - 47%
||45% - 50%
||18% - 24%
||25% - 30%
||12% - 17%
||15% - 20%
(1) Excludes non-cash acquisition related charges and stock-based compensation expense.
(2) Includes add backs of cash and non-cash acquisition related charges, amortization of debt issuance costs and other debt related costs and stock-based compensation.
(3) Excludes cash and non-cash acquisition related charges, debt issuance costs and stock-based compensation. Assumes long term cash tax rate of 28 percent.
Third Quarter Highlights
- Verifone was selected as the sole provider of payment solutions to China Postal Savings bank, the fifth largest bank in the country, further solidifying Verifone's leadership position in this important market.
- Cara, the largest operator of full service restaurants in Canada, has selected Verifone's ON THE SPOT pay at the table system designed exclusively for the hospitality industry. With this multi-million dollar rollout, Cara becomes the largest restaurant operator and the first in Canada to provide its customers with the convenience and security of payment at the table.
- Verifone now has more than 5,000 New York City taxicabs signed or committed to comprehensive multi-year agreements for in-taxi acceptance of credit cards. Verifone also has 100% of the Philadelphia taxi fleet equipped for the acceptance of credit cards and has made inroads in Mexico City and Singapore as well. This business holds considerable promise for the future, including in the case of New York City, a share of the lucrative advertising revenue and per-transaction processing fees.
- In North America, Verifone's retail business had yet another outstanding quarter signing a number of top tier customers. The TJX Companies, one of the top apparel and merchandise retailers in the United States with over 2,000 stores, chose to roll out the MX 870 to the entire enterprise to proactively meet industry PCI requirements and introduce new functionality to their customers. Rent-A-Center, the leading rent to own retailer in the United States, chose the new MX 850 system to provide debit and credit functionality to all of their stores. The MX 870 was also selected by Bon-Ton Department Stores, one of the largest regional department store chains in the United States.
Note: The Company's third quarter results reflect the November 1, 2006 acquisition of Lipman and, because of the integration of Lipman's products and distribution channels as well as the lack of comparable quarter ends of Verifone and Lipman, are compared to pre-acquisition results of prior fiscal periods.
Reconciliations for the non-GAAP measures presented in this press release are provided at the end of this press release. Management uses the non-GAAP measures presented in this release to help them evaluate Verifone's performance and to compare Verifone's current results with those for prior periods as well as with the results of other companies in Verifone's industry, but cautions investors that these non-GAAP measures should not be considered as substitutes for disclosures made in accordance with GAAP.
The management of Verifone will host a conference call, which will be simultaneously webcast, on September 6, 2007, at 1:30 p.m. (PST) to discuss Verifone's third quarter results. Management may also provide forward looking guidance on this call. To access the live conference call, the dial-in numbers are as follows:
Domestic callers: 800-638-5495
International callers: 617-614-3946
To access the audio webcast, please go to Verifone's website (http://ir.verifone.com) at least ten minutes prior to the call to register. The recorded audio webcast will be available on Verifone's website until September 13, 2007.
A replay of the conference call, which can be accessed by dialing toll-free 888-286-8010, and outside the U.S. 617-801-6888, will be available until September 13, 2007. The access code for the replay is 42419276.
About Verifone Holdings, Inc. (www.verifone.com) Verifone Holdings, Inc. ("Verifone") (NYSE: PAY) is the global leader in secure electronic payment solutions. Verifone provides expertise, solutions and services that add value to the point of sale with merchant-operated, consumer-facing and self-service payment systems for the financial, retail, hospitality, petroleum, government and healthcare vertical markets. Verifone solutions are designed to meet the needs of merchants, processors and acquirers in developed and emerging economies worldwide.
CAUTION CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
This press release includes certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management's current expectations or beliefs and are subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances. Actual results may vary materially from those expressed or implied by the statements herein due to changes in economic, business, competitive, technological and/or regulatory factors, and other risks and uncertainties affecting the operation of the business of Verifone Holdings, Inc. These risks and uncertainties include: our ability to identify and complete acquisitions and strategic investments and successfully integrate them into our business, our ability to protect against fraud, the status of our relationship with and condition of third parties upon whom we rely in the conduct of our business, our dependence on a limited number of customers, uncertainties related to the conduct of our business internationally, our ability to effectively hedge our exposure to foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations, our dependence on a limited number of key employees, short product cycles, rapidly changing technologies and maintaining competitive leadership position with respect to our payment solution offerings. For a further list and description of such risks and uncertainties, see our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our annual report on Form 10-K and our quarterly reports on Form 10-Q . Verifone is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, changes in assumptions or otherwise.
Review the Complete Third Quarter 2007 Release