First Quarter Financial Highlights
- Non-GAAP net revenues of $430 million, up 1% year-over-year
- GAAP net revenues of $429 million, up 2% year-over-year
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share of $0.51, down 12% year-over-year
- GAAP net income per diluted share of $0.11, versus $0.03 loss a year ago
- Operating cash flow of $53 million
Non-GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.51, compared to $0.58 a year ago, a 12% decrease. GAAP net income per diluted share was $0.11, compared to a loss of $0.03 a year ago. The table below provides additional summary non-GAAP and GAAP financial information and comparisons.
“While our first quarter results fell short of our expectations, Verifone remains well positioned to take advantage of the secular shift from cash to cashless transactions and the increasing demand for payment security, which should continue to drive healthy payment industry growth,” said Douglas G. Bergeron, Chief Executive Officer. “We are confident that our strategy to build out our service portfolio is sound, and we will continue to invest in multiple services infrastructure initiatives to enable us to offer innovative solutions and build deeper relationships with our customers. We have taken aggressive steps to address our execution challenges, including centralizing engineering resources, increasing investment in our world-class product portfolio and improving sales management of emerging market distributors and new services initiatives. We are likely to take additional steps as needed, including senior management changes, to ensure that we have the right executive team and resources in place to execute our strategic plan going forward.”
Additional Financial and Business Highlights
- North America GAAP net revenues increased 11% year-over-year.
- Multi-Lane Retail GAAP net revenues increased 11% year-over-year driven by higher demand for new MX 900 series systems.
- Petroleum convenience store system Topaz unit sales set a record as gas stations continued to migrate from serial keyboard based Ruby systems to the IP touch screen based Topaz platform.
- Services comprised 34% of total non-GAAP net revenues, compared with 31% in the prior quarter.
- Installed base of Point All-in-One payments-as-a-service (“PaaS”) grew 25% in the last 12 months.
- Accelerated rollout of PaaS in the Australia and New Zealand regions by signing agreements to acquire the largest electronic point of sale provider and the exclusive Verifone distributor in New Zealand.
“We are continuing to execute our strategy and making the internal changes necessary to create long-term growth opportunities,” continued Bergeron. “We are facing a less than perfect macro environment; however, we are encouraged by a number of positive trends including those around services, mobility, security and U.S. EMV. Our strategic priorities are aligned to execute against these opportunities and we are focused on creating value for our customers and shareholders.”
Outlook for Second Fiscal Quarter 2013
- Non-GAAP net revenues in the range of $435 million to $450 million
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share in the range of $0.45 to $0.50
Outlook for Full Fiscal Year 2013
- Non-GAAP net revenues in the range of $1.80 billion to $1.83 billion
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share in the range of $1.90 to $2.10
- Cash flow from operations less capital expenditures (free cash flow), in the range of $170 million to $190 million
Verifone will hold its earnings conference call today, March 5, 2013, at 1:30 pm (PT). To listen to the call and view the slides, visit Verifone’s website http://ir.verifone.com. To listen to the call over the phone, dial (800) 706-7748 within the U.S., or (617) 614-3473 outside the U.S., and use conference passcode 4783 6410. The recorded audio webcast will be available on Verifone's website until March 12, 2013.
CAUTION CONCERNING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
This press release includes certain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based on management’s current expectations or beliefs and on currently available competitive, financial and economic data and are subject to uncertainty and changes in circumstances. Actual results may vary materially from those expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements herein due to changes in economic, business, competitive, technological and/or regulatory factors, and other risks and uncertainties affecting the operation of the business of Verifone Systems, Inc. These risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to: our assumptions, judgments and estimates regarding the impact on our business of the continued uncertainty in the global economic environment and financial markets, our ability to identify and complete acquisitions and strategic investments and successfully integrate them into our business, whether the expected benefits of our business initiatives are achieved, our ability to protect against fraud, the status of our relationship with and condition of third parties such as our contract manufacturers, distributors and key suppliers upon whom we rely in the conduct of our business, our dependence on a limited number of customers, risks and uncertainties related to the conduct of our business and operations internationally, our ability to effectively hedge our exposure to foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations, our dependence on a limited number of key employees, short product cycles, rapidly changing technologies and maintaining competitive leadership position with respect to our payment solution offerings. The forward-looking statements in this press release do not include the potential impact of any acquisitions or divestitures that may be announced and/or completed after the date hereof. For a further list and description of the risks and uncertainties affecting the operations of our business, see our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our annual report on Form 10-K and our quarterly reports on Form 10-Q. Verifone is under no obligation to, and expressly disclaims any obligation to, update or alter its forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events, changes in assumptions or otherwise.
About Verifone Systems, Inc. (www.verifone.com)
Verifone Systems, Inc. (“Verifone”) (NYSE: PAY) is the global leader in secure electronic payment solutions. Verifone provides expertise, solutions and services that add value to the point of sale with merchant-operated, consumer-facing and self-service payment systems for the financial, retail, hospitality, petroleum, government and healthcare vertical markets. Verifone solutions are designed to meet the needs of merchants, processors and acquirers in developed and emerging economies worldwide.
Doug Reed, 408-232-7979
SVP, Treasury & Investor Relations
Andy Payment, 770-754-3541
Verifone Media Relations
Download the Complete Earnings Release